Well fellow Disney fans, the time has come. Yesterday Disney FINALLY gave us all the details on the Disney+ streaming service, so let’s break it all down shall we.
The Nuts and Bolts
Mark your calendars and tell your friends and family you love, get all your must have essentials nearby: snacks, drinks, chargers, etc. You’ll be able to start streaming on November 12, 2019.
As for the cost, well for once Disney isn’t taking all our money. The new SVOD will cost $6.99 a month or $69.99 per year. Now I pulled out a calculator and did the math. If you do the per month option Disney+ will actually cost $83.88 a year. So you’d be better off paying the $69.99 all up front and save roughly $13.89 (that will at least buy you 2 churros).
Other things to note; Like Netflix the SVOD will be ad free (woohoo), we’ll also be able to setup profiles so different people can watch what they want. Oh and don’t worry, there will be parental controls available.
All the New Stuff
Disney is not just launching with a library of all their classics (I’ll get to that in a bit), they are also giving a TON of new content.
- First off, Captain Marvel will be available on day one of Disney+.
- WandaVision a new series staring, yup Wanda aka Scarlet Witch and Vision.
- The Falcon and The Winter Soldier which will bring Bucky Barnes‘ Winter Solider and Sam Wilson’s Falcon together for the “buddy cop” show we all want.
- Tom Hiddleston’s Loki centered series is also a go.
- What If will feature past Marvel Comics series that featured out-of-continuity stories. In fact the first episode will follow our favorite gal Agent Peggy Carter and what if SHE got the Super Solider Serum instead of Steve Rogers.
- The forth is a series that will see Hawkeye and Kate Bishop on the small screen. However, no word yet on if this will launch in year one.
- The Mandalorian, a pre-quel to Rogue One: A Star Wars Story starring Diego Luna.
- The next season of Clone Wars, the Star Wars animated series.
- Noelle, the new Christmas movie starring Anna Kendrick
- The live-action Lady and The Tramp
- Stargirl, based off the best selling book.
- Togo starring William Defoe follows the real-life tale of a man and his lead sled dog’s incredible journey through the Alaskan tundra.
- An all new animated adventure with The Phineas and Ferb Movie
- The highly anticipated High School Musical: The Musical: The Series
- New series based off the films Love, Simon and The Sandlot are both in the works.
- and more.
Bring on the Classics
The Disney vault is officially open, for good. Here is just a sampling of the 7,500 episodes and 500 films we’ll be able to enjoy.
- All the classic Disney Signature animated films. This includes movies like Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, and more.
- 5,000 episodes from the many Disney Channel shows that have aired over the years. Fingers crossed for some retro 90’s goodness like So Weird and Ocean Girl.
- 100 DCOM’s! That is like almost ALL of the slate of Disney Channel Original Movies.
- All 30 seasons of The Simpsons. Yes you read that correctly. Thanks to FOX now falling under the Disney umbrella, The Simpsons will now call Disney+ their exclusive streaming home.
- Any new theatrical release starting with the 2019 slate of films will find their home exclusively on Disney+ (bye bye Netflix). This will start with Captain Marvel.
So that is Disney+ in a nutshell. Needless to say, this is a MUST HAVE service for any Disney Fan. We for one will be signing up on day one and if you need us, we’ll be spending the holidays in a Disney content coma.